Once upon a time, there was a very ugly lady. It’s not nice to say but she really looked not so hot. No one liked her in any way whatsoever. At least, that’s how it seemed.
One day, however, it turned out that she had a distant lover. He used to live in the village and almost everyone had forgotten him after he moved out. After dreaming about being close to her for a long time, he decided to make a move.
Following some beginners’ hesitation, he confidently started approaching her and telling her what he thought of her.
At first, of course, she found this a bit hard to believe. Make fun of someone else! But soon she had to admit the obvious. She had a fan.
But there was more. She transformed, just as in the famous fairy tale of the ugly duckling. His protestations of love did their work. She started feeling good about herself and she began to look the part. How uplifting to see her reach her natural beauty and well-deserved happiness!
But then it happened. All the guys in the village who never laid an eye on her or abused her, now started flirting with her. Of course, she was not amused.
Not only did she have a lover already, and were these guys not such hotshots, these guys always ignored her, but now they pursued her?
But there was more than superficial attraction that seemed to motivate this new but hopeless competition: jealousy. They wanted what this distant fellow had gotten himself. We saw her first! (So much for seeing.) This guy doesn’t even belong here!
The new lovers, however, as lovers should be, were hopelessly naive. They proclaimed that they were not hostile to the other fellows. They welcomed them as friends. Yet, often, after they were invited warmly, these “friends” really started terrorizing them, and especially him.
And all these hungry eyes on her really became more obnoxious and embarrassing after they got married. They started pursuing her as if they were entitled to be her partner instead. Her new husband had to defend her on more than one occasion. In the end, they had to limit their access to their apartment. And in the beginning, bystanders understood.
Everyone said: leave her alone, she is a married woman now. But these jealous guys did not want to give up. We saw her first, they lied. She’s really ours.
They began to be extra hostile to his family in the village (whom they never loved so much in the first place) so much so that they had to flee! Unbelievable. Luckily, the house of the generous lovers was large enough, so they moved in there.
Then the hateful ones started bothering the newlyweds’ house, so much so that at a certain moment, the family decided to make an unclaimed piece of land around the house as its beautiful garden with a high fence.
Now the envious villagers had a fresh fake excuse for their attacks. They stole the land! We’re only angry because they got themselves this garden. This was our garden! These people are scum!
Their naivety still had not stopped. They tried to appease the haters, but only encouraged their hatred and endangered their own night rest.
When the years went on, however, the town started getting tired of defending the couple. If these guys did not give up, maybe they were on to something? He is very possessive. (It’s his own wife!) They never have friends over. The local paper started slandering them.
It started to get uglier and uglier … until a new sheriff arrived in town.
He wasn’t such a sweetheart, but he knew how to stand up for the beleaguered happy couple. He practically ended the conflict. Everyone shamefully realized that he was right and they had been wrongly silent.
And so this fairy tale, as it should, also had its happy ending.
- A very ugly lady – the barren Land of Israel.
- No one liked her – largely uninhabited, 2000 years never a country.
- A distant lover – the displaced Jewish People.
- He used to live in the village but moved out – the Dispersion.
- After dreaming about being close – 2000 years of prayers.
- To make a move – early Zionist return to the Land.
- Some beginners’ hesitation – at first, not so many people returned.
- She found this hard to believe – Zionism had little effect.
- She transformed – the Land started blossoming.
- His protestations of love did their work – the Zionists worked her.
- All the guys who ignored or abused her – local Arabs who took the Land for granted and abused her until the Jews appeared.
- Now started flirting with her – suddenly wanted to dominate her.
- The new lovers were hopelessly naive – the early Zionists.
- They welcomed them as friends – they proposed a bi-national State.
- These “friends” started terrorizing them – pre-State Arab terrorism.
- They got married – the State of Israel was proclaimed.
- Had to defend her – in wars for their very lives.
- On more than one occasion – numerous times.
- To limit their access – by secret service, police, army.
- At first, bystanders understood – the UN approved Israel.
- Hostile to his (never loved so much) family so that they had to flee – Jews (always hated there) had to flee the Arab countries.
- So they moved in – the Jews from Arab countries immigrated.
- An unclaimed piece of land – the Jordan River West Bank illegally occupied and disregarded by the Hashemite Kingdom.
- Beautiful garden – Jews settled and worked the Land there too.
- A fresh fake excuse for their attacks – end the occupation.
- These people are scum – Jews are terrible!
- To appease the haters the Peace Process.
- Endangered their own night rest – thousands of Jews were murdered and maimed.
- The town – the Family of Nations.
- It’s his own wife – every People deserves a State but the Jews.
- They never have friends over – if they have no real peace with any of their neighbors they must be at fault.
- It started to get uglier and uglier – there was no end to military build-up against Israel.
- The local paper started slandering them – media bias.
- Until a new sheriff arrived in town – Trump and Haley.
- He wasn’t such a sweetheart – Trump is scandal-ridden.
- Everyone shamefully realized – the UN, Arab leaders first.
- They had been wrongly silent – abandoning the Jews.
- Happy ending – forgive my wishful thinking.
- BDS Boycott Divestment Sanctions
- Donald Trump
- Gaza Disengagement
- Gaza Rocket Attacks
- IS Islamic State
- Israel-Diaspora Ties
- Jewish Refugees
- Jewish-Muslim Relations
- Media Bias
- Peace Process
- Saudi Arabia
- Shimon Peres
- Six Day War
- United Nations
- US Embassy
- World Zionist Congress
- Yitzhak Rabin
- Young Judaea